UPDATE: Most of our volunteer spots are filled. Thank you everyone! We do still need several Happiness Bar volunteers for the 3:15 and 4:15 slots.
We’re always hearing from excited people who want to help out with WordCamp Ottawa but aren’t sure how: Here’s your chance!
We need a team of people who want to help make WordCamp Ottawa as smooth and pleasant as possible. Having volunteers signed up ensures the venue space is set up on time, that we have everything we need and that the registration process is smooth and effective throughout the event.
This page explains what is involved in being a WordCamp Ottawa volunteer. If you would like to volunteer for the next WordCamp, please complete an application form on the Volunteer Application page.
Volunteers can have free access to WordCamp if they want. Anyone who is willing to commit to a minimum of 3 hours of on-duty volunteering won’t have to buy a ticket to WordCamp (though you can still buy one if you want to support the event).
- Greeters and Helpers: Managing the registration table to make sure people coming in are registered, have their badges and gifts etc. We also need people to act as ambassadors around the venue and help lost people find the rooms they are looking for.
- Setup: Some volunteers will be asked to come in early (especially on the first day) to help set up the chairs and other elements of the venue before guests arrive. At the end of the event we’ll also need help tearing it down and cleaning things up.
- Coffee and Snack Helpers: Maintaining the coffee and snack tables to make sure they are stocked, clean and tidy.
- Driver: On the day of the event anyone who can help us by driving to bring stuff to the venue or go grab last-minute supplies is incredibly helpful.
- Room Host: Help keep speakers moving on time, get water or supplies they need or let us know if there are problems in the room, ie A/V equipment failure.
Volunteering for the Happiness Bar:
- Happiness Bar: The Happiness Bar is a special activity at WordCamp where local and visiting WordPress experts offer help and advice to other attendees who come up to the “bar” with their problems.
- Are you a WordPress expert? Do you like helping others and contributing to the open source community? Well here’s your chance!
- It’s a lot of fun and a great way to meet new people and show them how much you know (maybe they’ll hire you!). Happiness Bar volunteers don’t get free attendance because it’s a fun and rewarding activity on it’s own. It’s also a great way to give back to the open source community.
- As a Happiness Bar volunteer you need to commit to one-hour blocks of time. Choose one block or many!
If you would like to volunteer for the next WordCamp, please complete an application form on the Volunteer Application page.